Now that Apple has data on a great number of music tracks uploaded or linked with their iTunes Match system, I would love to see some anonymous data about the tracks. There are a number of things Apple should be able to discern from the files.
- What percentage of tracks are pirated
- What is the time distribution of pirated tracks (I bet the majority of pirated music was downloaded in the Napster boon)
- What is the average bit rate of tracks
- What percentage of tracks are from Amazon
- What percentage of tracks are ripped from CD’s
- What does the genre distribution of music look like
- What are the top most pirated tracks/artists/albums
Do I think Apple has access to this data? Yes. Do I think Apple will make it publicly available? No. Do I think they will use this information to their advantage? Most certainly.